Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going for Nirvana


Once again, we will go back to my high school days of being angsty and wanting music to mirror that.  In my MCR days, I had another band to back up my musical taste when I wanted a brief break.  I went to a band with a troubled singer, which, although not the healthiest of lifestyles, makes for good music.  I mean, aren't all great artists troubled? Well, I'll leave that one up for debate for now and get to the info on Senses Fail.

In 2002, in Ridgewood, NJ, Buddy Nielson (vocals), Dan Trapp (drums), Dave Miller (guitar), Garrett Zablocki (guitar), and Mike Glita (bass) formed Senses Fail. They used the internet widely as their outlet and released From the Depths of Dreams.  They went straight on tour and built their fan base, going on to release Let it Enfold You in 2004.  In 2005 they lost Miller gained Heath Saraceno, and released Still Searching in 2006.  That album sparked a lot of interest and they went on a lot of tours because of it, like Warped and Taste of Chaos.  In 2007, Glita left and Jason Black stood in to help with the album Life is Not a Waiting Room (2008). Black stayed on and they lost Saraceno in 2009, being replaced by Zach Roach. With so much loss, they regrouped and released The Fire in 2010.

They just recently had a show here in Raleigh, on April 5, at the Brewery.  I wasn't able to go, sigh, but I did get some feeback from a few friends. First of all, the brewery is somewhat like a large garage. It can get packed in there with the small bands, like some of the NC based Tragic Hero bands, that tend to roll through. So a bigger name, with dedicated fans, like Senses Fail, is bound to get some attention. Newer fans and diehards alike attended the shendig, with SF, The Ghost Inside, Man Overboard, and Transit.  Reliable sources tell me that it was absolutely packed, with people practically spilling out of the doors when Senses Fail came on.  Buddy is a riot, I know that from when I saw them at The Norva a few years ago with From First to Last. He was a ball of energy them, jumping around the stage and into  the crowd to get some help from teh fans with the songs.  Being that its only been a few years, I'm sure he still has that fire and hasn't gone senile or anything to that effect.

Check out a few of their videos if you're interested:
"Rum Is For Drinking, Not For Burning"
"Can't Be Saved"
"The Fire"

No comments:

Post a Comment