Sunday, April 10, 2011

Blast from the past


So, let's go back to 2004. I'm fourteen years old, with the usual teen angst attitude issues. So music is a must, you know, for self expression and such. Who did I turn to? Well, it's pretty clear that I needed a band that has pizzaz, something punky and loud. It's only natural that I sought out My Chemical Romance. 

My Chemical Romance is a now four man band that was formed in 2001 in New Jersey.  The band now consists of Gerard Way (lead vocals), Ray Toro (lead guitar), Mikey Way (bass guitar), and Frank Iero (rhythm guitar). They were formerly joined by Matt Pellisier ('01-'04) and Bob Bryar ('04-'10). 

In 2002 they released their album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love after signing with Eyeball Records. They then signed with a better known label, Reprise, and released Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in 2004, which eventually went platinum. In 2006, they released The Black Parade, one of their most critically acclaimed, and in 2010 they released Danger Days: The True Live sof the Fabulous Killjoys. 

MCR has a little bit of everything. They're punky, glam, a tad metal, and even a little goth. If you're in an screw this kind of mood, put in "I'm Not Okay", and if you're in an uplifting mood, try "The Black Parade". It doesn't matter what you're feeling, they've got a song for it. They've managed to go from the vampiric, emo days of I Brought You My Bullets, and evolve into the more rock style of Danger Days. While they remain true to their style, I will admit they have evolved. Battling with emo labels and growing from being strictly in the scene has given them challenges but the fans have remained loyal. I remember seeing the "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" video and thinking "wait, who are these guys?". But after listening to the rest of the first album I was hooked. They were different, new, and I couldn't get enough. 

Like many of my posts, this band is on my favorites list. But I have to say they're number one on my list!    I started listening to them and found out they were going to be on the 2005 warped tour, my very first one. I waited all day to see them, since they were one of the last bands to play. Needless to say, I wasn't the only one dying to see Gerard Way sing, so the entire crowd was about to go crazy waiting for them.  So I donned my newly bought MCR shirt and the show began. As soon as Frank Iero played the first chord of "Helena", everyone surged forward and I lost my friends, but hey, it comes with the territory. So I fought my way to the front, getting a bloody nose in the process, and got my pictures of the band and listened to the rest of the set. It was amazing! But once they were done, I found my crew, but it looked like I just had the crap beaten out of me. It was well worth the memories!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! The memories these songs bring back!! Haha, great post!

    I'm not a huge fan of them, but there is no doubt that they aren't awesome!

    ReplyDelete