Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Out with the old...



So, when you think post-hardcore, many things come to mind. Amazing guitar, crazy screaming, and earth shattering drums. But with the newer definition, you can add a little piano too. Who does this sound like? Why, it's Chiodos of course!

Originally the Chiodos Bros, Chiodos, a 6 man group from Davison, Michigan, was created in 2001. There have been many lineup changes, so I won't go through their entire history, like I normally do. But the most notable one is the loss of Craig Owens, former lead singer, screamer, and icon of the scene.  I would say he's on the same level as Anthony Green, or at least he used to be. The current members are Bradley Bell (keyboards, piano, backup vocals, synthesizers), Brandon Bolmer (lead vocals), Matt Goddard (bass guitar), Jason Hale (lead guitar), Pat McManaman (rhythm guitar), and Tanner Wayne (drums). Together, they have put out the full length album, Illuminaudio (2010). Before that, they put out All's Well That Ends Well (2005) and Bone Pallace Ballet (2007). They have toured with some of the best, including Armor For Sleep, Linkin Park, and Silverstein. They have also been on some notable tours, like Warped tour (for several years), The Take Action Tour, and some of Alternative Press' tours. Chiodos even went the extra mile, and got banned from Fuse, for a joke that those working for Steven's Untitled Rock Show and for the network, didn't find amusing. They are currently carving their way in the world, and still reeling from the loss of Owens.

On September 24, 2009, via Myspace, the band released a statement saying that they had to let Craig Owens go. They would not state specific reasons, being professional, but rumors floated around that it had been due to some drug and control issues of Craig's.  He has since moved on, performing in acts such as Cinematic Sunrise, Isles and Glaciers, and his newest project, D.R.U.G.S. 

I'm going to go ahead and say that Chiodos is one of  my favorite bands of all time. I can play their albums from beginning to end and then press repeat. They have a little something for every mood and they're one of the first post-hardcore bands that I started listening to. Back when I was a sophomore in highschool, in 2005, I went to one of my first shows. It was at the small, grungy, dive bar of dive bars, The Brewery, in Raleigh. Armor For Sleep was the headliner, with Action Action, Boys Night Out, and Chiodos. At that point I was really there to see the headliner and hadn't heard of Chiodos. But as soon as Craig Owens stepped on the stage and started singing, in his amazingly high pitched voice, he wowed the crowd. Then he switched to heavy screaming, which only excited everyone more, eventually with the Brewery erupting into a battlefield of crowd surfers and mosh pits. But it was awesome all in all, and I've been a fan ever since. I'm still adjusting to Brandon, it's just hard with me growing up listening to Craig, who essentially made the band, in my eyes. It's still great music, the icon is just gone. But I do look forward to what the new guy can bring to the table. 

The band has a lot of upcoming tour dates, which can be found here. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Piano mixed with post-hardcore is never something I would have put together, but it adds a softer touch to the music. It is so wild how often times we go to concerts and the singer who opens up is typically someone we are not familiar with. I know for me these individuals have always ended up being my favorite singers that I follow regularly.

    ReplyDelete